Folk Discovery R&D Days
Published: Friday, 27 September 2019 15:52
Call-out for artists: towards a cross-cultural creative learning programme
The English Folk Dance and Song Society is developing a new project to explore, share and create artistic connections between English traditional folk music and dance, and folk traditions originating from outside Europe.
As the first stage in the project, we are seeking artists from a range of backgrounds to work together for two days to explore ideas and material towards developing new cross-cultural creative learning projects with young people in schools.
5 & 6 November 2019, 10am–6pm
Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regent’s Park Road, London NW1 7AY
We are looking for artists who are:
- Practitioners in English or non-European folk music or dance traditions
- Singers, instrumentalists or dancers
- Established in their own artistic practice
- Committed educators with experience of working with young people in schools
- Excited about cross-cultural and cross-artform collaboration
- Enthusiastic about sharing practice and developing new hybrid forms
- Live and work in England
- Available for both days (5 & 6 November), 10am–6pm
£200 per day (£400 total fee) – plus reasonable travel and accommodation expenses for artists from outside London
How to apply:
- Send a covering letter of up to 500 words explaining why you would like to take part in this project and what you feel you could offer (ie an idea or area of practice you’d be interested in exploring).
- Attach a biography or CV – making clear the artform/s you practise; your background in either English or a non-European folk music or dance tradition; your experience of working with young people and schools; and link to your website (if you have one).
- Confirm that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom and that you have a recent DBS check and / or would be willing to undergo one in the future as needed.
Deadline for applications: 9am, Thursday 17 October