To place the indigenous folk arts of England at the heart of our cultural life
For almost a hundred years EFDSS has collected and preserved the folk traditions of the English speaking world; this has only been possible with the support of our members who through their subscriptions and donations have kept the society thriving.
However EFDSS is more than a library and archive – through its publications and recording and by championing the folk arts over the years it has kept the tradition alive and relevant as it continues to be discovered by a whole new generation of dancers and musicians. As a member of EFDSS, your subscription helps us with our regular work - like maintaining the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, producing English Dance and Song magazine and the Folk Music Journal – and also to support projects such as our aim to make our collections more widely available via our website and the work of our Education Department.
Regular subscription fees help us plan for the future, so that we can preserve our traditions and pass them on as a living changing culture to a new generation.
In addition to knowing that your membership fees support our work, we also offer the following membership benefits:
- Quarterly copies of English Dance and Song - the EFDSS magazine introducing, debating and promoting the folk traditions of England and beyond
- Free use of the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library
- Annual copy of the Folk Music Journal - the internationally acclaimed academic publication of folk articles, papers and essays.
- Public liability insurance, indemnity limit £5 million
- Society voting rights (over 18s only)